Video submission which started 12 pm September 13, 2014 and scheduled to end Midnight of October 11, 2014, is now extended to Midnight of October 17, 2014.
Poetry can be dangerous, especially beautiful poetry, because it gives the illusion of having had the experience without actually going through it. ― Rumi
(organizer of WORD UP, the biggest Spoken Word Poetry Event in Nigeria)
War Of Words Season 4
(A Slam Poetry Competition)
War Of Words (Slam Poetry Competition) is a performance poetry/ Spoken Word Competition aimed at discovering, grooming and bringing to limelight new, exciting and talented Spoken Word Poets in Nigeria and Africa. It is an avenue to view and promote the performances of new poets and also, a selection process of new poets that will get to step up and perform at the biggest Spoken Word Poetry event in Nigeria, WORD UP.
Up for grabs:
- N100,000 for the winner, N20,000 for the 1st runner up and N10,000 for the 2nd runner up.
- The top three poets get to perform at the next edition of WORD UP in 2015 alongside some of the best Spoken Word Poets in Nigeria.
- The top three poets will also have their poems recorded and compiled as downloadable caller tunez.
The competition is only open to Poets that have never performed at any WORD UP event.
Here is all you have to do
- The theme of the video entry for the Slam Poetry Competition is What Is Left of What is Right ? Any entry not in line with the theme will be invalid for final selection.
- Submit an original poem that is in English, pidgin English or a combination of both. Please note that all non-English words used in the poem must be explained in the information box of the video.
- Ensure The title of your poem contains the official hashtag #WarOfWords4, else your entry is not valid.
- Ensure your name/ stage name, email address and wordings of the video are in the information box of the video.
- Ensure you also send the wordings of the poem to firstname.lastname@example.org
stating your name and title of the poem with the hashtag in the subject box of the mail. Please you need to state your valid email address and phone number below the poem.
- Ensure your video submission is not be more than 3 minutes long and remember it must be uploaded on your Youtube channel. If you don’t have a Youtube channel, please open one.
- The submitted video must be one camera, one poet and recorded specifically for the competition. No live performance videos, no music, no props and no special effects. Please note that all poets are limited to one submission ONLY.
- You will be required to post the link of the Youtube Video in the comment section of any posts on www.wordup411ng.com, to render your entry as valid.
- You will also be required to tweet the video link with the official hashtag #WarOfWords4 to @WORDUP411.
- Video submission which started 12 pm September 13, 2014 and scheduled to end Midnight of October 11, 2014, is now extended to Midnight of October 17, 2014.
A total of 15 poets will be chosen from the video entries for the competition.
The first ten will be chosen by our in-house judges based on content, depth, message, diction and word play.
The last five will be chosen based on most viewed, most liked and the videos with the most comments.
Stay tuned to https://www.wordup411ng.com
Follow us on Twitter: @WORDUP411
Like our facebook page https://www.facebook.
Official media partner: Pulse.ng
For inquires, partnership and sponsorship details, please call:
Olulu – 08025070892, 08038315055
Quazeem – 08080918265
Ayo – 07068400846
Don Fabrino – 08030635360
Daniel – 08053001608
Or send us a mail at
Our Spoken Word Poetry show, WORD UP, is now on the NTA Network (i.e. DSTV, Startimes and Local) from August 2014. The TV show is aired every Sunday by 3pm, with repeat broadcast on Wednesdays by 10am and Fridays by 5.30am. Please tune in.
Here are some of your favourite poems by Saint Rhymes, Aquilla, Chika Jones, Graciano and Shegrhymz now available for download as Caller Tunez.
|S/N||Poet||Poem title||Genre||MTN Download Code|
|1||St. Rhymes||lester’s proposal||spoken word poetry||046448|
|2||St. Rhymes||Sister Esther||spoken word poetry||046449|
|3||St. Rhymes||guitar box||spoken word poetry||046450|
|4||St. Rhymes||Mr. Traffic||spoken word poetry||046451|
|5||St. Rhymes||Purpose||spoken word poetry||046452|
|6||Kalagbor Aquila||skimpy things 1||spoken word poetry||046490|
|7||Kalagbor Aquila||skimpy things 2||spoken word poetry||046491|
|8||Kalagbor Aquila||love disaster||spoken word poetry||046492|
|9||Kalagbor Aquila||panadol extra||spoken word poetry||046493|
|10||Kalagbor Aquila||salute||spoken word poetry||046494|
|11||Kalagbor Aquila||another voice||spoken word poetry||046495|
|12||Chika Jones||Agnostos||spoken word poetry||046496|
|13||Chika Jones||Chaos||spoken word poetry||046497|
|14||Chika Jones||Imagine||spoken word poetry||046498|
|15||Chika Jones||Our Music||spoken word poetry||046499|
|16||Chika Jones||Lyrics||spoken word poetry||046500|
|17||Chika Jones||Gone||spoken word poetry||046501|
|18||Graciano||12 million nonsense||spoken word poetry||046502|
|19||Graciano||I love the mangoes||spoken word poetry||046503|
|20||Graciano||Do not say alright||spoken word poetry||046504|
|21||Shegzrhymz||If God||spoken word poetry||046505|
|22||Shegzrhymz||life||spoken word poetry||046506|
To download it, send your preferred code to 4100. Each download is N50 per month.
You can also view and listen to it here http://www.blacknaija.com/caller-tunes.
More contents would also be advised to be added to your collection.