The business of creativity is the art of turning recognition into reward, and the science of turning intellectual property into income streams.
– David Parrish
You want to be successful as a Poet? First of all, get recognition.
How do you get recognition? Simple, compete with the best poets on the biggest slam poetry platform in Nigeria.
Ready or ready not, Nigeria’s foremost Slam Poetry Competition, War Of Words Season 8 starts from May 2019 #WarOfWords8 #WOWNaija .
Capacity Building in youths using Spoken Word Poetry as a tool of impact and a medium of communication
War Of Words is an event aimed at promoting and showcasing new, unknown and upcoming performance poets. It is a platform that announces the little known talents to the world. War Of Words Slam Poetry competition attracts poets from different part of Nigeria to compete on stage for a grand prize. It also serves as a way to select poets that will perform at “WORD UP,” (one of the foremost Spoken Word Poetry events in Nigeria that features the best Spoken Word Poets in Nigeria all on one stage).
We have successfully organized 7 editions of War Of Words from June 2013 to December 2018, and have had six different winners. The past winners are:
- Titi Mabogunje (who is now a 20 year old pre-med undergraduate at Yale University) War Of Words 1,
- Chika Jones Onwuasoanya (graduate of FUTO Owerri) War Of Words 2,
- Graciano Enwerem (OAP at Rhythm FM in Port Harcourt) War Of Words 3,
- Paul Word (Student of UNIBEN) War Of Words 4 and
- Ibukun Ajagbe (15 year old student) War Of Words 5. Based on her participation in War Of Words Season 5, Ibukun was invited to perform in Switzerland in April 2016 by the Swiss Malaria Group.
- In 2017, Wayne Samuel (a copy writer) won War Of Words 6, which was modified from a one day event into an event that involved two semifinals and one Grand final and was held over 3 consecutive weekends.
- In 2018, War Of Words 7 was further expanded into 4 quarter finals, one semifinal and one Grand final which held over 8 weekends. History repeated itself as Wayne Samuel won it again.
The event (War Of Words 8), as always, will involve Poets from all over Nigeria and other African countries coming on stage to compete against each other in what will be an epic battle of wits, wordplay and intellect. The standard and quality of the poets are guaranteed.
The competition involves 3 phases as follows:
- Submission of videos online by poets/ contestants based on a pre-determined theme . The video submission will be via Youtube and/or Instagram over a period of 4 weeks.
- Selection and announcement of the 60 finalists which will hold over a period of 2 weeks.
- The main event (on stage performance of the finalists) is scheduled to hold over 6 weeks and will feature the 60 finalists in 4 quarterfinals, one semifinal and a Grand Final.
Registration fee is 5k and this entitles you to a DVD of the semifinal or grand final of War Of Words Season 7.
Connect with us on Instagram and Twitter @wordup411 for updates.
For sponsorship details, enquires and more info:
Call: 08025070892 and 08038315055.
Semifinal Faceoff between Wayne Samuel and Toby PenPriest at Nigeria’s foremost Slam Poetry Competition, War Of Words Season 7. The event is packaged by i2X Media.
Vivian Ofre at the Grand Final of War Of Words Season 6 Slam Poetry Competition that held in Lagos, Nigeria. The event is packaged by i2X Media.
Ibukun Vs Bankhall facing off at round of the final of Nigeria’s foremost Slam Poetry Competition – War Of Words Season 5. The event is packaged by i2X Media Company Limited.
Investment by Paul Word at #WarOfWords4 Slam Poetry Competition which held in Lagos, Nigeria in December 2013 . He won the competition