The Video Entry theme for Nigeria’s Foremost Spoken Word Poetry Competition, War Of Words Season 8 will be released in May 2019.
Can you guess the theme?
Season 1 Video Entry – Innit to win
Season 2 Video Entry – The change you seek
Season 3 Video Entry – What Nigerians want
Season 4 Video Entry – What is left of what is right
Season 5 Video Entry – Now that change had come
Season 6 Video Entry – I bleed Green
Season 7 Video Entry – If Nigeria was a book
Season 7 Semifinal theme – The future is
Season 7 Grand final theme – letter to my younger self
Season 8 Video Entry – ???
Oludasa Olawale at Nigeria’s foremost Slam Poetry Competition, War Of Words Season 7 #WarOfWords7. The event is packaged by i2X Media.
Habeeb “Da Beloved” Ajijola Vs Logo Da Pogo #WarOfWords7 Semifinal Faceoff
Traffic by Freezing Paul at the Grand Final of War Of Words Season 6 Slam Poetry Competition that held in Lagos, Nigeria.
Habeeb the Beloved Vs Toby in 3rd place faceoff at the Grand Final of War Of Words Season 6 Slam Poetry Competition that held in Lagos, Nigeria. The event is packaged by i2X Media
Capacity Building in youths using Spoken Word Poetry as a tool of impact and a medium of communication
War Of Words is an event aimed at promoting and showcasing new, unknown and upcoming performance poets. It is a platform that announces the little known talents to the world. War Of Words Slam Poetry competition attracts poets from different part of Nigeria to compete on stage for a grand prize.
It also serves as a way to select poets that will perform at “WORD UP,” (one of the foremost Spoken Word Poetry events in Nigeria that features the best Spoken Word Poets in Nigeria all on one stage).
We have successfully organized 7 editions of War Of Words from June 2013 to December 2018, and have had six different winners. The past winners are:
- Titi Mabogunje (who is now a 20 year old pre-med undergraduate at Yale University) War Of Words 1,
- Chika Jones Onwuasoanya (graduate of FUTO Owerri) War Of Words 2,
- Graciano Enwerem (OAP at Rhythm FM in Port Harcourt) War Of Words 3,
- Paul Word (Student of UNIBEN) War Of Words 4 and
- Ibukun Ajagbe (15 year old student) War Of Words 5. Based on her participation in War Of Words Season 5, Ibukun was invited to perform in Switzerland in April 2016 by the Swiss Malaria Group.
- In 2017, Wayne Samuel (a copy writer) won War Of Words 6, which was modified from a one day event into an event that involved two semifinals and one Grand final and was held over 3 consecutive weekends.
- In 2018, War Of Words 7 was further expanded into 4 quarter finals, one semifinal and one Grand final which held over 8 weekends. History repeated itself as Wayne Samuel won it again.
The event (War Of Words 8), as always, will involve Poets from all over Nigeria and other African countries coming on stage to compete against each other in what will be an epic battle of wits, wordplay and intellect. The standard and quality of the poets are guaranteed.
The competition involves 3 phases as follows:
- Submission of videos online by poets/ contestants based on a pre-determined theme . The video submission will be via Youtube and/or Instagram over a period of 4 weeks.
- Selection and announcement of the 60 finalists which will hold over a period of 2 to 4 weeks.
- The main event (on stage performance of the finalists) is scheduled to hold over 6 weeks and will feature the 60 finalists in 4 quarterfinals, one semifinal and a Grand Final.
Registration fee is 5k and this entitles you to the DVDs of the semifinal or the grand final of War Of Words Season 7 i.e. each contains 2 DVDs.
Connect with us on Instagram and Twitter @wordup411 for updates.
For sponsorship details, enquires and more info:
Call: 08025070892 and 08038315055.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org